It is Father's Day today and I have all kinds of mixed feelings.
First my dad died a good few years ago and I always think of him on this day. It also means I avoid listening to Billy Bragg, if "Tank Park Salute" passes through my ears I will start uncontrollably blubbing and I'm a Northern bloke so that's just not the done thing.
Secondly, Matt always gets me something and I really do appreciated this. It's more appreciated that he puts a lot of thought into it and getting something we can share in together. Yes it was beer and crisps for sharing whilst watching the England World Cup match. The beer has been saved for Thursday's match as we were already into a nice Merlot/Malbec blend by midnight. To be honest he usually gets me beer and crisps every year which we share even if it's just watching the news - he knows I am very happy, as long as it's some decent beer.
Thirdly, I do really think that Father's Day, Mother's Day, Easter, Xmas et al are largely just marketing tools these days to get people to spend ridiculous amounts of money on rubbish (not that beer and crisps are rubbish mind!). I know for some of those events there is still a religious significance for some but that's not the case for most of the population and certainly not for me. I appreciate a few nice beers, I like a small inexpensive but thoughtful present at Xmas or on my birthday but more than anything I appreciate a bit of time just enjoying being with people I care for.
So what of today? Well we did share the crisps in England's World Cup match and I've been to visit my mum. Other than that a bit of work and a bit of relaxation.
No comments:
Post a Comment